Many people think that it is awesome to write for a living. I won’t say it’s a bad way to live, but making a career in writing takes time and effort. And making money at it also takes time and effort.
There is an awful lot of advice out there (you know, “out there” 🙂 ) about what it takes to make a living as a writer. For my own part, luck has played a huge role in my own writing journey. However, you know what they say about making your own luck. The answer is, “Yes, you can!”
I don’t claim to have all the answers, but I do have some general advice for those who want to become full-time writers.
My video for this week provides my thoughts on that.
- Keep a journal;
- Write simply without jargon;
- Be willing to commit time and energy to the process;
- Ask yourself if this is what you really want to do;
- Write because you love doing it, not just for money;
- Focus on quality over quantity;
- Take all advice you read or hear on this topic (including mine 🙂 ) with a grain of salt;
- Don’t spend too much time reading self-help books or books about writing;
- Just do it.
Bonus links: Where
Not to Spend Your Book Advertising Budget